Geoff Barrow, member of legendary British band Portishead, has put together a new band that plays some of the best drone/metal rock I’ve heard in ages. Beak’s music is hypnotic and mesmerizing â€” it’ll suck you in without you even knowing it. And the best part is the band members’ recording methodology: they record live in one room with no overdubs or repair, only using edits to create arrangements. Now that’s hardcore.
1. Whose music has most influenced yours?
People who don’t compromise.
2. What’s your favorite/least favorite aspect of the music industry in the age of the Internet?
Watching the major acts trying to get a handle on kids that don’t care about them.
3. Where was the best show you’ve played so far?
All Tomorrow’s Parties in Minehead, UK. People went there to rip the piss a bit, but we won them over.
4. Who would you most like to tour with?
Matt would say The Shaggs. Bill would say someone like Robert Johnson. I would like to tour with PiL in the old days.
5. In a perfect world, who would you have produce your next record?
6. Lady Gaga â€” yes or no?
Yes and no.
7. Do indie bands have groupies?
Not old indie bands.
8. Do you do karaoke? If so, what’s your song?
“Hello” by Lionel Richie.